Deepen how you show your body love with these 6 mindful ways to honor it.
I often think back to the joy of getting my first car. I had no idea what kind of car my dad was gifting me for my high school graduation, but it didn’t matter because I knew I would love it no matter what. My excitement was that of a mother seeing her child for the first time. Everything about it was just right, and it was mine! No matter how beige and basic this Nissan Sentra was, it was special because I owned and was entrusted with it.
Right away, I promised myself (and my dad) that I would take good care of it; keep it adequately fueled, keep up with the maintenance, keep it clean, and always be mindful of who accompanies me on my rides. Smoking was an absolute NO, and using it as a trashcan or closet was out of the picture. This was my prized possession, and I wanted my dad to know that his gift was much appreciated and in good hands.
Fast forward seventeen years, and I am no longer the owner of “Mickey” (my beloved first car), but I do have the lessons that it taught me, plus analogous thinking towards the vehicle I will forever own — my body.
When you begin to view your body as the perfect gift entrusted to you, it carries a whole new meaning and level of importance. Like that first new car, you value and honor it like no other because it’s yours to keep! With this view of my body in mind, these are 6 ways I honor and celebrate it:
1. THANK IT often for being a reliable home & vehicle for your existence. In the words of Jim Rohn, “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”
2. FUEL IT, mindfully, with cleansing food and water to help it THRIVE. Hydrating and nourishing the body with fruits and vegetables earlier in the day primes your system for easy digestion, improved mood, and fat-burning potential.
3. TAKE IT FOR A WALK. Move daily to keep it running. The goal is to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity in a day…not to be mistaken for exercise. Exercise is planned, structured, repetitive, and intentional movement.
4. TREAT IT AND RELEASE IT FROM STRESS and tension with regular bodywork. This can be any number of things — stretching, foam rolling, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic adjustment, etc.
5. BALANCE IT by reducing toxic load. Whatever is holding you back from thriving physically, mentally, or emotionally (i.e., relationships, home/work environment, the media, junk food, etc.), reduce it!
6. STRENGTHEN IT daily, with positive self-talk and challenging mind + body activities. The most important conversation you have is the daily conversation with yourself. Be your own HYPE MAN! Plant positive seeds for positive growth.
BONUS: CELEBRATE IT with dance & joyous expressions of LOVE! There’s nothing more liberating than dancing! So let loose and give praise!